There are so many people all around India, South Asia and other parts of the world who are always interested in working, collaborating, learning, volunteering, consulting, researching and exploring. DEF is a free thinking, liberal and open organisation. We believe that the humanity is going through a period of change where communication and way of life is fast changing. And this change is majorly influenced by digital tools and technology. In order to ensure that each and every human being would have equal rights and opportunity to use digital mediums and means so that they have equitable role to play in the society and community, DEF facilitates building relationships through design, thinking, intervention, policy, research, advocacy, meetings.
DEF strongly believes in the following:
- Everyone must be digitally literate to adopt and use digital medium and technologies
- Spectrum is meant for greater public good and can be made affordable to connect people at large sustainably
- Ensuring broadband wireless access in remote and tribal areas
- Enable access in areas of clusters that are dominated by culture, wisdom, traditional skills, ancient practices, heritage, indigenous language, folk music, craft and art
- Creating a database of best practices in the areas of digital innovations and grassroots practices
- Ensuring agencies, entities, enterprises and micro-operators in India have an online presence so that the world of information is equitably enriched with localised content
- Mapping drinking water
- Mapping history, heritage and culture
These are just a few areas and examples that we have been working towards for more than one and a half decade. And we always welcome young minds to engage with DEF to share their love, passion, dedication, compassion, honesty, skills and time. DEF believes that one seeks more by giving. And the gesture of giving infectiously spreads; and finally comes around to you with more valuable learnings and wisdom.
We don’t have any minimum qualification that we’re looking for so long as you fulfill certain guidelines:
- You must be 18 years or older
- You must be self-driven and believe in giving
- You must have empathy and compassion
- You must be trustworthy and honest
- You always think of the poor and wonder how you can help
- You want to find a solution to an existing problem in the society
- You should have clarity for what you want to do
- You must have excellent communication skills
- You do not, preferably, work for money
Broad framework for Internships:
1. RapShip (Rapid Internship)
- The period of this internship is a month.
- Applicants should have a clear idea of what they want to do and must have willingness to join with a purpose to create an outcome. They should have enough maturity and understanding, even if they don’t have enough work experience.
2. SurfShip (Surface Internship)
- The period of this internship is a minimum of three months, which can go upto six months.
- Applicants must have a strong desire to create an impact. They should be willing to travel, research, innovate and provide skills to complement existing projects and programmes of the foundation.
3. DeepShip (Deep Internship)
- The period of this internship is a minimum of six months, which can go upto one year.
- It provides an opportunity to not only choose to work on existing projects of the foundation, but one could also explore new ideas to execute which are in sync with the vision of the foundation.
None of the streams of internships should be mistaken for jobs, hence, they involve no financial commitment. However, there could be an option of honorarium or basic stipend, if the foundation sees a need. In case the intern is travelling on an assignment, all the expenses will be met by the foundation.
To apply for the internship, please complete this form.